Sunday, May 29, 2011

Part of the Family


(Night out with Greg's family)

Last night Greg and I met his family for a night filled with delicious dinner and endless bottles of wine! In one word: lovely! We made the trip up to Edmonds to find a little know gem called, FIVE restaurant and bistro (http://www.fiveedmonds.com/FIVE/Main.html). The location was less desirable, but the interior was sexy, rustic and the food and service was incredible. Their price ranges from 10-20 with interesting options for the palate. I had a golden beet salad with pine nuts and goat cheese, and then Greg and I split a fire cooked pizza with gorgonzola, pears and pesto. Incredible! They also had an outdoor area that was decorated with dim lighting, fireplaces and of course propane heaters for our chilly NW weather!

(Greg and his Mom)

Greg's family is like many families today (including mine). It is a modern family that includes a divorce, step siblings and years of building friendships and family dynamics. His mother married a wonderful man who is generous, kind, and very intelligent. His children include a daughter, son, and a recent daughter who found him after 24 years of her life not knowing who he was. The energy at the dinner table last night was light, fun and filled with love. At one point each of the children gave toasts to Jim (it was his 70th birthday!) and one in particular brought me to tears. Lori, the daughter who found Jim when she was 24 gave the most heartfelt speech about family, finding Jim and gaining all of these wonderful people in her life. She discussed missing a part of her life for so long - and was finally fulfilled with all the people she found through the process of discovering her past.

This of course would have made anyone tear up. There were streams of tears coming down the faces of most who were there. I in particular couldn't help but relate to her life struggles and her search for her identity. It touched me so deeply, I just looked at Greg who knew exactly what I was feeling and gave me a warm hug and told me that I was his family. I feel so lucky to have him as my partner, as he always knows what I am thinking and feeling.

(me, Lesa, Vicki & Lori)

Lori came up to me later and I told her how moved I was by her speech. We bonded over some of the issues and struggles over growing up and not knowing where you come from. She is a beautiful person inside and out, and embraced me with a hug that was deeper than just the physical level. I admire her honesty and her journey, and remember that we are all on these paths that ultimately lead to exactly where we need to be.

(Scott, Paul & Greg)

I've never felt that I was missing anything in life... My family is the absolute best family. I can completely be myself, and they accept me for who I am. They have shown me unconditional love, support, and have encouraged me to live the life that makes me happy - not the one that makes everyone else happy. There still continues to be a part of me that will wonder how my path brought me here. I hope that one day my birth mother will get the courage to reach out to me so that I can understand her struggles and her journey that has brought me here.

Thank you to Greg, the most amazing partner - and his lovely family who has taken me in as part of their own.
(Jim, Barb & Greg)

1 comment:

  1. just beautiful. made me cry too!!! What an amazing family, and you have such an amazing talent for articulating so exquisitely your experience. it fills my heart with joy to be able to share your walk through the world being able to feel and see all the beauty it has to offer, what people are truly capable of.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete