Saturday, September 19, 2009

Busan


So I didn't have the chance to update my blog while I was in Busan, so I thought that I'd summarize... My first day there, I woke up early with Jin to visit her school. She lives a short bus ride away and a serious hike up a hill to the school. I told her that I could see how she was keeping in good shape! When we arrived to the school, all the students and teachers had to get their temperature taken in order to get into the school. Like I had mentioned before, the Koreans are very worried about the swine flu, and so this is part of that process to keep their students and staff healthy.

I was introduced to each of the classes and teachers, who were very sweet and kind. The principal was a good looking man who was pleased that I was there to see his school. I had the opportunity to sit in on Jin's classes, where I stood in front of the class as the children asked me questions... mostly ones that they knew in english, like, "where are you from", "how many siblings do you have", and "do you have a boyfriend". They were so cute and rambunctious!

The next day, I took the Busan tour bus and stopped off at a park where I was able to check out a small temple and see some views of the ocean. From there, I went to the world famous Jalachi Fish Market that was an experience in itself. It was like the fish vendors in Pike Place Market times a thousand! Fresh fish and other sea creatures everywhere and people yelling at you trying to get you to come to their station. I made my way upstairs to the raw fish restaurants, which is just an open area full of small tables. I had no idea what I ordered because the woman spoke no english, and of course I speaking no Korean - I just trusted I would have a good meal.

When the meal came, it had little snails a few things I had no idea what they were, and the largest plate of sashimi I had ever seen. I still don't know what type of fish it was, but it was fresh and delicious!

For my last day in Busan, I was feeling tired from all the sightseeing and travel that I decided to hit the beach for the day. I went to Haeundae Beach, which when in season is the most popular beach in Busan. For whatever reason, when September hits, the Koreans do not go to the beach anymore and put their pants and jeans on until the next year. So when I arrived at the beach, there were only about ten people total there and only two other people with their bathing suits on. The other two besides me were some Euro travelers, a couple who I struck up a conversation with. They were two journalists from Denmark on vacation and knew nothing about Korea prior to their trip. They had found cheap tickets and went for it. They were very kind, and it made me miss Greg so much. He has by far been the best travel partner I have ever had, and it made me want to take an adventure with him.

After the beach, I went to check out the Busan Aquarium and saw a lot of interesting fish, sharks, and some penguins. I made my way back to Jin's apartment where we made dinner plans to another beach for our last meal together. We sat at a restaurant right across the beach and at night the Busan bridge was completely lit up with different colors that changed throughout the night. We sat and had a beer and enjoyed the cool breeze from the ocean and the beautiful lights of Busan.

The travel home was so long... a taxi ride to Busan station, a 3 hour train ride to Seoul station, an hour bus ride to the airport, and then a 10 hour flight back to Seattle. I am still jet-lagged and Greg has taken such good care of me since being home. It feels so good to be home, and I intend to reflect more on my experience later. This has already quickly turned into a novel! Much love to everyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment