Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Embracing My Inner Old Lady




Last night the Netherlands played in the semi World Cup game... it was going to be crazy. It was going to be fun. It was going to be something not to miss... yeah, I went to sleep at 8pm while everyone was out and slept for 9 hours. It was incredible! Ha! All I can say is that I am at a point in my life where I know good and well if I can go out and "have a good time"- and last night, I knew that it was time for me to take advantage that everyone would be out late, and I could finally get some peace and quiet for a full night's sleep. Guess what? I did, and it was great!

Obviously I missed out on a pretty amazing experience, but at least I can still check it out this weekend when the stakes are even higher! Maybe I'll even get an orange shirt? Maybe not. I've never been much of a "fan"of any kind, and although I am excited to check out all of the shenanigans this weekend, I still don't think I'll give a crap if they win or lose. Hey, that's just me.


Other than being an old woman, I had a nice walk into town this morning watching all of the residents biking and walking into work. The small shops in my neighborhood where we're staying were just getting started - putting out all of their produce and arranging their goods for display. I had a good quiet walk that felt like one of those experiences that you will always remember, but no one will quite know what you mean. I love observing and having silence, and it was wonderful to have that this particular morning.

I met up with my professor, Dr.
Pendras this morning. He has taken the time to meet with us all individually to speak about observations, feelings and topics for our papers due when we get back home. It was really refreshing to have that one on one time, and he is such a nice and intelligent person. He discussed with me the multicultural citizenship and identity issues that Europe vs. the U.S. may have in common. It was really interesting to have him point out that I told him that we were in a segregated neighborhood, he asked, "why do non-white neighborhoods have to be labeled segregated?". I understood his point, although there are plenty of good reasons why non-white neighborhoods are called segregated, to always point that out just perpetuates those stereotypes. Meaning, to start off with "white"being the starting point for where "good"standards begins isn't necessarily helping the situation.
Okay, enough for now... time for class and perhaps Amsterdam this afternoon.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment