Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Gouda, The World Cup & Brussels






It has been awhile since my last posting and a lot has happened! I went to Gouda this past weekend and got to make cheese and visit a cheese farm. I learned a lot, and have to say that cheese is sort of gross - but so delicious! I won't get into the gory details, but let's just say that cheese goes through a process that would make anyone second guess their love for it! Later that day I got to check out a bunch of windmills along the beautiful Dutch landscape. It was a hot day in Holland, and I felt lucky to get to see more of the country and get out of the city.

Holy Holland Hell! The World Cup! Okay, so obviously they lost - but the lead up was incredible! I've never seen so much orange in my life! The singing, cheering and all around love for the game was intense! We watched the game in this corner where there were about 4 bars that had a shit ton of people outside. Our professor hung out with us, and we all just got tipsy off many beers and the energy of the crowd. What an experience to be in Holland while they were in the World Cup! I love the social aspect of this game, and wondered what it would be like if we in the states engaged in more public social events rather than sitting in our living rooms all the time...

Yesterday we got to visit Brussels. It was a short day trip, but got to see the European Parliment and visit a historical museum. The parliment was reallly interesting because we had a speaker who was very knowledgeable on all aspect of this form of government. I really enjoyed the museum because we were exposed to many local artists and had a guided tour with a lot of histrorical references. Sometimes the history of places can be so overwhelming, to know that some of these paintings were from the 15th century just blows my mind.



Okay, got to get back to my studies (yes, I am studying abroad in case you forgot... I did!) and all I can say is I'm happy that Utrecht is coming to an end. I am so ready for a weekend in Paris with my friend Ruthy and then home sweet home!

No comments:

Post a Comment